1. We have 7 varieties (Mortgage Lifter, Belgian Giant, Delicious, Sarah Black, German Lunchbox, Orange Icicle and Morning Sun Yellow Cherry) of tomatoes planted (25 tomato plants total).
2. Spy Garden was dug by hand (using a regular shovel). We did rent a rototiller to dig out the original garden in 2010 (which was just 5 small beds) but have since dug and tilled the various expansions using a shovel).
3. We are in zone 6a.
4. We have 75+ varieties planted (herbs, flowers and vegetables). Many of the varieties we are growing this year we are trying for the first time. We love to try unique varieties, things you wouldn’t typically see in the grocery store.
5. The fence (to keep out deer) that surrounds Spy Garden is just shy of 300 feet.
6. We don’t use any pesticides. We handpick and squish (ew!) cutworms, stink bugs and other pests. Disposable latex or vinyl gloves are great for that activity! We also plant lots of flowers and herbs right alongside the vegetable plants to discourage pests and attract beneficial insects.
7. This year we have closely followed the farmer’s almanac Gardening by the Moon Calendar for planting.